Terms and Conditions
Hello! Welcome to Mavin's Terms of Service. Please read this carefully before using our site, services, or products. This is a contract between you and Mavin. We've tried to be fair and straightforward. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
1. Accepting the Terms of Service
Please read these Terms of Service and our Community Guidelines (collectively, the "Agreement") carefully before using mavin.io (the "Site") and/or the other domains, websites, products, applications, mobile applications, services, and/or Content provided by MavinWorks LLC (all of those collectively with the Site, the "Services") (MavinWorks LLC, a Michigan limited liability company, collectively with its agents, representatives, consultants, employees, officers, and directors, "Mavin," "we," or "us"). By using or accessing the Services, you ("Subscriber" or "you") agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you don't agree to all the terms and conditions of this Agreement, you shouldn't, and aren't permitted to, use the Services.
2. Modifications to this Agreement
Mavin reserves the right to modify this Agreement by (1) posting a revised Agreement on and/or through the Services and (2) providing notice to you that this Agreement has changed, generally via email where practicable, and otherwise through the Services. Modifications will not apply retroactively. You are responsible for reviewing and becoming familiar with any modifications to this Agreement.
In cases where we do not ask for your explicit agreement to a modified version of this Agreement, but otherwise provide notice as set forth above, the modified version of this Agreement will become effective fourteen days after we have posted the modified Agreement and provided you notification of the modifications. Your use of the Services following that period constitutes your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Agreement as modified. If you do not agree to the modifications, you are not permitted to use, and should discontinue your use of, the Services.
Note that, if you have prepaid for any Paid Services (as defined below) prior to a modification of this Agreement, your use of such prepaid Paid Services is governed by the version of this Agreement in effect at the time Mavin received your payment.
As Mavin grows and improves, we might have to make changes to these Terms of Service. When we do, we'll let you know.
3. Use of the Services
Eligibility: No individual under the age of thirteen (13) may use the Services, provide any personal information to Mavin, or otherwise submit personal information through the Services (including, for example, a name, address, telephone number, or email address). You may only use the Services if you can form a binding contract with Mavin and are not legally prohibited from using the Services.
Service Changes and Limitations: The Services change frequently, and their form and functionality may change without prior notice to you. Mavin retains the right to create limits on and related to use of the Services in its sole discretion at any time with or without notice. Mavin may also impose limits on certain Services or aspects of those Services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Services without notice or liability. Mavin may change, suspend, or discontinue any or all of the Services at any time, including the availability of any product, feature, database, or Content (as defined below). Mavin may also terminate or suspend Accounts (as defined below) at any time, in its sole discretion.
Mavin is an ever-evolving platform. With new products, services, and features launching all the time, we need flexibility to make changes, impose limits, and occasionally suspend or terminate certain offerings (like features that flop). We can also terminate or suspend any account at any time.
Limitations on Automated Use: You may not, without express prior written permission, do any of the following while accessing or using the Services: (a) tamper with, or use non-public areas of the Services, or the computer or delivery systems of Mavin and/or its service providers; (b) probe, scan, or test any system or network (particularly for vulnerabilities), or otherwise attempt to breach or circumvent any security or authentication measures; (c) access or search or attempt to access or search the Services by any means (automated or otherwise) other than through our currently available, published interfaces that are provided by Mavin or unless permitted by Mavin's robots.txt file or other robot exclusion mechanisms; (d) scrape the Services, and particularly scrape Content (as defined below) from the Services; (e) use the Services to send altered, deceptive, or false source-identifying information, including without limitation by forging TCP-IP packet headers or email headers; or (f) interfere with, or disrupt, (or attempt to do so), the access of any Subscriber, host or network, including, without limitation, by sending a virus to, spamming, or overloading the Services, or by scripted use of the Services in such a manner as to interfere with or create an undue burden on the Services.
4. Registration, Mavin URLs, and Security
As a condition to using certain of the Services, you may be required to create an account (an "Account") and select a password and Mavin account name, which will serve as a default link to your Mavin collection of the form [username].mavin.com (a "Mavin URL"). You must select a different Mavin URL for each new account you create.
You agree to provide Mavin with accurate, complete, and updated registration information, particularly your email address.
It's really important that the email address associated with your Mavin account is accurate and up-to-date. If you ever forget your password - or worse, fall victim to a malicious phishing attack - a working email address is often the only way for us to recover your account.
You are also responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Account password and for the security of your Account, and you will notify Mavin immediately of any actual or suspected loss, theft, or unauthorized use of your Account or Account password.
6. Content and Subscriber Content
Definitions: For purposes of this Agreement: (1) the term "Content" means a creative expression and includes, without limitation, video, audio, photographs, images, illustrations, animations, logos, tools, written posts, replies, comments, information, data, text, software, scripts, executable files, graphics, and interactive features, any of which may be generated, provided, or otherwise made accessible on or through the Services; (2) the term "Subscriber Content" means Content that a Subscriber submits, transfers, or otherwise provides to the Services. Content includes, without limitation, all Subscriber Content.
Your Rights in Subscriber Content: Subscribers retain ownership and/or other applicable rights in Subscriber Content, and Mavin and/or third parties retain ownership and/or other applicable rights in all Content other than Subscriber Content.
You retain ownership you have of any intellectual property you post to Mavin.
Subscriber Content License to Mavin: When you provide Subscriber Content to Mavin through the Services, you grant Mavin a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable right and license to use, host, store, cache, reproduce, publish, display (publicly or otherwise), perform (publicly or otherwise), distribute, transmit, modify, adapt (including, without limitation, in order to conform it to the requirements of any networks, devices, services, or media through which the Services are available), and create derivative works of, such Subscriber Content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purposes of allowing Mavin to operate the Services in accordance with their functionality, improve the Services, and develop new Services. The reference in this license to "creat[ing] derivative works" is intended to allow Mavin or Mavin Subscribers to redistribute Subscriber Content.
When you upload your creations to Mavin, you're giving us permission to make them available in all the ways you would expect us to (for example, via your collection, RSS, the Mavin websites, etc.). We never want to do anything with your work that surprises you.
Any royalties or reimbursement you get for your creations are, needless to say, entirely yours. It's your work, and we're proud to be a part (however small) of what you accomplish.
You also agree that this license includes the right for Mavin to make all publicly-posted Content available to third parties selected by Mavin, so that those third parties can syndicate and/or analyze such Content on other media and services.
An example of what it means to "make all publicly-posted Content available" to a Mavin partner for distribution or analysis would be licensing a live feed of all public activity on Mavin, to partners like search engines.
Note also that this license to your Subscriber Content continues even if you stop using the Services, primarily because of the social nature of Content shared through Mavin's Services - when you post something publicly, others may choose to comment on it, making your Content part of a social conversation that can't later be erased without retroactively censoring the speech of others.
One thing you should consider before posting: When you make something publicly available on the Internet, it becomes practically impossible to take down all copies of it.
You also agree that you will respect the intellectual property rights of others, and represent and warrant that you have all of the necessary rights to grant us this license for all Subscriber Content you transfer to us.
Mavin may add its own affiliate code to links posted on Mavin at its discretion.
Content License to You: As a Subscriber of the Services, Mavin grants you a worldwide, revocable, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and non-transferable license to download, store, view, display, perform, redistribute, and create derivative works of Content solely in connection with your use of, and in strict accordance with the functionality and restrictions of, the Services (including, without limitation, Paid Services, as defined below). This means, for example, that we license Content to you for purposes of reblogging.
Compliance with Community Guidelines: You agree that you won't violate any of Mavin's Community Guidelines (the "Guidelines"):
- Malicious Speech. Don't encourage violence or hatred. Don't make violent threats or statements that incite violence, including threatening or promoting terrorism. Especially don't do so on the basis of things like race, ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, age, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
- Harm to Minors. Be thoughtful when posting anything involving a minor. Don't post or solicit anything relating to minors that is sexually suggestive or violent. Don't bully minors, even if you are one.
- Promotion or Glorification of Self-Harm. Don't post content that actively promotes or glorifies self-harm. We will remove only those posts that cross the line into active promotion or glorification of self-harm.
- Gore, Mutilation, Bestiality, or Necrophilia. Don't post mutilation or torture of human beings, animals, or their remains.
- Sexual or adult-oriented content. Respect the choices of people in our community who would rather not see such content.
- Account Name/URL Abuse or Squatting. Mavin's account names/URLs are meant for the use and enjoyment of all of our users. Don't hold account names for later. Use it or lose it.
- Mass Registration or Automation. Don't register accounts or post content automatically, systematically, or programmatically.
- Copyright or Trademark Infringement. Respect the copyrights and trademarks of others. If you aren't allowed to use someone else's copyrighted or trademarked work (either by license or by legal exceptions and limitations such as fair use), don't post it.
- We respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement as per our Terms of Service and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please note that we require a valid DMCA notice before removing content. Parties asserting a trademark infringement claim should identify the allegedly infringing work and the legal basis for their claim, and include the registration and/or application number(s) pertaining to their trademark.
- If we remove material in response to a copyright or trademark claim, the user who posted the allegedly infringing material will be provided with information from the complainant's notice (like identification of the rightsholder and the allegedly infringed work) so they can determine the basis of the claim.
- We always want to make sure there is room in any copyright or trademark complaint for both parties to make their case. With regard to copyright claims, the posting user can file a DMCA counter-notification with us, as described in our Terms of Service. Counter-notifications that we determine to be valid will result in restoration of the content at issue following the required waiting period prescribed by the DMCA. With regard to trademark claims, the posting user can send us an appeal explaining their side of the situation, along with any relevant materials we should look at. A successful trademark appeal will also result in restoration of the content at issue.
- With regard to repeat copyright infringement, we use a three-strike system to evaluate the standing of a user's account, where, generally, each valid copyright infringement notice constitutes a strike, and three strikes results in the termination of a user's account. When a user submits a valid DMCA counter-notification, we remove the associated strike from their record.
- Confusion or Impersonation. Don't do things that would cause confusion between you or your blog and a person or company, like registering a deliberately confusing URL. Don't impersonate anyone.
- Harassment. Don't engage in targeted abuse or harassment.
- Privacy Violations. Don't use Mavin to deceptively obtain personal information. Don't post content that violates anyone's privacy, especially personally identifying or confidential information like credit card numbers, social security numbers, or unlisted contact information. Absolutely do not post non-consensual pornography (private photos or videos taken or posted without the subject's consent).
- Disruptions, Exploits, or Resource Abuse. Don't attempt unauthorized use, disruption, or exploitation of Mavin.io or our other products and services, or otherwise abuse Mavin's resources.
- Unlawful Uses or Content. Don't use Mavin to conduct illegal behavior, like fraud or phishing.
If we conclude that you are violating these guidelines, you may receive a notice via email. If you don't explain or correct your behavior, we may take action against your account. We do our best to ensure fair outcomes, but in all cases we reserve the right to suspend accounts, or remove content, without notice, for any reason, but particularly to protect our services, infrastructure, users, and community. We reserve the right to enforce, or not enforce, these guidelines in our sole discretion, and these guidelines don't create a duty or contractual obligation for us to act in any particular manner. We also reserve the right to amend these guidelines
Termination and Deletion: On termination of your Account, or upon your deletion of particular pieces of Subscriber Content from the Services, Mavin shall make reasonable efforts to make such Subscriber Content inaccessible and cease use of it; however, you acknowledge and agree that: (a) removed Subscriber Content may persist in caches or backups for a reasonable period of time and (b) copies of or references to the Subscriber Content may not be entirely removed (due to the nature of reblogging, for example).
7. Use of Trademarks
Any use of Mavin's trademarks, branding, logos, and other such assets in connection with the Services shall use Mavin's approved branding and shall be in accordance with Mavin's Trademark Guidelines.
8. Paid Services
Some of the Services require payment of fees (the "Paid Services"). All fees are stated in United States dollars. You shall pay all applicable fees, as described in the applicable Services, in connection with such Services, and any related taxes or additional charges.
Paid Services are limited licenses for you to use particular for-pay aspects of the Services. Usage of terms like sell, sale, buy, purchase, or similar terms all refer to your acquisition of a license to use Paid Services, and do not represent any transfer of any right, title, or ownership interest of any kind. You may not relicense, resell, transfer, or exchange Paid Services within or outside of the Services, except as expressly allowed by the rules of those Paid Services.
Mavin may, in its sole discretion, modify the functionality of, or eliminate, Paid Services, or the terms and conditions under which Paid Services are provided.
Purchases of Paid Services are final and non-refundable (particularly those Paid Services that may be used immediately, such as Promotions, as defined below), except at Mavin's sole discretion and in accordance with the rules governing each Paid Service. Termination of your Account or your rights under this Agreement may result in forfeiture of purchased Paid Services.
Mavin may change its prices for Paid Services at any time. To the extent applicable, Mavin will provide you reasonable notice of any such pricing changes by posting the new prices on or through the applicable Paid Service and/or by sending you an email notification. If you do not wish to pay the new prices, you may choose not to purchase, or to cancel, the applicable Paid Service prior to the change going into effect.
9. Warranty Disclaimer; Services Available on an "AS IS" Basis
Your access to and use of the Services or any Content is at your own risk. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED TO YOU ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, MAVIN DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. Mavin makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to the Services, including any representation or warranty that the use of the Services will (a) be timely, uninterrupted or error-free or operate in combination with any other hardware, software, system, or data, (b) meet your requirements or expectations, (c) be free from errors or that defects will be corrected, or (d) be free of viruses or other harmful components. Mavin also makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to Content; Subscriber Content, in particular, is provided by and is solely the responsibility of, the Subscribers providing that Content. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained from Mavin or through the Services, will create any warranty not expressly made herein.
10. Time Limitation on Claims and Releases From Liability
You agree that any claim you may have arising out of or related to this Agreement or your relationship with Mavin must be filed within one year after such claim arose; otherwise, your claim is permanently barred.
You further release, to the fullest extent permitted by law, Mavin and its employees, agents, consultants, directors, shareholders, any other person or entity that directly or indirectly controls, is under common control with, or is directly or indirectly controlled by, Mavin (the “Mavin Affiliates”) from responsibility, liability, claims, demands, and/or damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown (including but not limited to claims of negligence), arising out of or related to the following:
- Disputes between Subscribers, including those between you and other Subscribers.
- The acts of third parties generally (i.e., individuals or entities who are not Mavin or a Mavin Affiliate), including third party sites and services.
- Disputes concerning any use of or action taken using your Account by you or a third party.
- Claims relating to the unauthorized access to any data communications relating to, or Content stored under or relating to, your Account, including but not limited to unauthorized interception, use, or alteration of such communications or your Content. For the sake of clarity, this includes any and all claims related to the security of your Account credentials.
11. Limitation of Liability
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MAVIN AND THE MAVIN AFFILIATES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR: (A) ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER; (B) LOSS OF: PROFITS, REVENUE, DATA, USE, GOODWILL, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES; (C) DAMAGES RELATING TO YOUR ACCESS TO, USE OF, OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES; (D) DAMAGES RELATING TO ANY CONDUCT OR CONTENT OF ANY THIRD PARTY OR SUBSCRIBER USING THE SERVICES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OR CONTENT; AND/OR (E) DAMAGES IN ANY MANNER RELATING TO ANY CONTENT. THIS LIMITATION APPLIES TO ALL CLAIMS, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER OR NOT MAVIN HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE, AND FURTHER WHERE A REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF MAVIN AND THE MAVIN AFFILIATES, FOR ANY CLAIM UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING FOR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, IS LIMITED TO THE GREATER OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS (US $100.00) OR THE AMOUNT YOU PAID US TO USE THE APPLICABLE SERVICE(S).
12. Exclusions to Warranties and Limitation of Liability
Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of certain warranties or the exclusion/limitation of liability as set forth in Section 11, so the limitations above may not apply to you.
Either party may terminate this Agreement at any time by notifying the other party. Mavin may terminate or suspend your access to or ability to use any and all Services immediately, without prior notice or liability, for any reason or no reason, including but not limited to if you breach any of the terms or conditions of this Agreement. In particular, Mavin may immediately terminate or suspend Accounts that have been flagged for repeat copyright infringement.
Upon termination of your access to or ability to use a Service, including but not limited to suspension of your Account on a Service, your right to use or access that Service and any Content will immediately cease. All provisions of this Agreement that by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, and limitations of liability. Termination of your access to and use of the Services shall not relieve you of any obligations arising or accruing prior to such termination or limit any liability that you otherwise may have to Mavin or any third party.
14. Choice of Law and Venue
You and Mavin agree that we will resolve any claim or controversy at law or equity that arises out of this Agreement or the Services in accordance with this Section or as you and Mavin otherwise agree in writing. Before resorting to formal dispute resolution, we strongly encourage you to contact us to seek a resolution.
Law and Forum for Legal Disputes: This Agreement shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of Michigan as they apply to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within Michigan between Michigan residents, without regard to conflict of law provisions. You agree that any claim or dispute you may have against Mavin must be resolved exclusively by a state or federal court located in Washtenaw County, Michigan, except as otherwise agreed by the parties. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within Washtenaw County, Michigan for the purpose of litigating all such claims or disputes.
If you are (a) a United States federal, state, or local government agency or body, (b) using the Services in your official capacity, and (c) legally unable to accept the clauses in this Section, then this Section doesn't apply to you. For such entities, this Agreement and any related action will be governed by the laws of the United States of America, without regard to conflict of law provisions, and, in the absence of federal law and to the extent permitted under federal law, the laws of the State of Michigan, excluding choice of law.
This Agreement, as modified from time to time, constitutes the entire agreement between you and Mavin with respect to the subject matter hereof. This Agreement replaces all prior or contemporaneous understandings or agreements, written or oral, regarding the subject matter hereof and constitutes the entire and exclusive agreement between the parties. The failure of either party to exercise, in any way, any right provided for herein shall not be deemed a waiver of any further rights hereunder. If any provision of this Agreement is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision shall be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that this Agreement shall otherwise remain enforceable and in full force and effect. This Agreement is not assignable, transferable, or sublicensable by you except with Mavin's prior written consent. Mavin may assign this Agreement in whole or in part at any time without your consent. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment is created as a result of this Agreement and you do not have any authority of any kind to bind Mavin in any respect whatsoever. Any notice to Mavin that is required or permitted by this Agreement shall be in writing and shall be deemed effective upon receipt, when delivered in person by nationally recognized overnight courier or mailed by first class, registered or certified mail, postage prepaid, to MavinWorks LLC, 6560 Ford Rd, Ypsilanti, MI, 48198.
16. Special Provisions for Subscribers Located Outside of the United States
Mavin's servers and operations are located in the United States, and Mavin's policies and procedures are based on United States law. As such, the following provisions apply specifically to Subscribers located outside of the United States: (1) you consent to the transfer, storage, and processing of your information, including but not limited to Subscriber Content and any personal information, to and in the United States and/or other countries; and (2) if you are using the Services from a country embargoed by the United States, or are on the United States Treasury Department's list of "Specially Designated Nationals," you agree that you will not engage in financial transactions, or conduct any commercial activities using or through the Services.
17. DMCA Copyright Policy
Mavin has adopted the following policy toward copyright infringement on the Services in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the "DMCA"). The address of Mavin's Designated Agent for copyright takedown notices ("Designated Agent") is listed below.
Reporting Instances of Copyright Infringement: If you believe that Content residing or accessible on or through the Services infringes a copyright, please send a notice of copyright infringement containing the following information to the Designated Agent at the address below:
- Identification of the work or material being infringed.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing, including its location, with sufficient detail so that Mavin is capable of finding it and verifying its existence.
- Contact information for the notifying party (the "Notifying Party"), including name, address, telephone number, and email address.
- A statement that the Notifying Party has a good faith belief that the material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or law.
- A statement made under penalty of perjury that the information provided in the notice is accurate and that the Notifying Party is authorized to make the complaint on behalf of the copyright owner.
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright that has been allegedly infringed.
Please also note that the information provided in a notice of copyright infringement may be forwarded to the Subscriber who posted the allegedly infringing content. After removing material pursuant to a valid DMCA notice, Mavin will immediately notify the Subscriber responsible for the allegedly infringing material that it has removed or disabled access to the material. Mavin will terminate, under appropriate circumstances, the Accounts of Subscribers who are repeat copyright infringers, and reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate any Subscriber for actual or apparent copyright infringement.
Submitting a DMCA Counter-Notification: If you believe you are the wrongful subject of a DMCA notification, you may file a counter-notification with Mavin by providing the following information to the Designated Agent at the address below:
- The specific URLs of material that Mavin has removed or to which Mavin has disabled access.
- Your name, address, telephone number, and email address. A statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which your address is located (or the federal district courts located in Ann Arbor, Michigan if your address is outside of the United States), and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided the original DMCA notification or an agent of such person.
- The following statement: "I swear, under penalty of perjury, that I have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of a mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled."
- Your signature.
Upon receipt of a valid counter-notification, Mavin will forward it to Notifying Party who submitted the original DMCA notification. The original Notifying Party (or the copyright holder he or she represents) will then have ten (10) days to notify us that he or she has filed legal action relating to the allegedly infringing material. If Mavin does not receive any such notification within ten (10) days, we may restore the material to the Services.
6560 Ford Rd.
Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Email: [email protected]